Monday, May 16, 2011

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Once again working through the baking section of my cookbooks.  Here was an interesting recipe - and I had all the ingredients in my kitchen.  Of course the photo online was certainly not what I made...but I'll get it next time.  This was actually my first time using a fluted tube cake pan/bundt pan ["oh, it's a caake!"].  
I did something a little different to give it that crunchy coffee-cake feel.  I only layered twice and made the nut, brown sugar, cinnamon mixture the topping of the cake.  It loses it's "tube cake pan" look this way but it made for a yummy crust.  I know it looks brown and crunchy towards the bottom, aka: charred...that's because it is.  I usually don't cook things to their projected bake time because our oven is ridiculously off-sync.  I set the timer for 45 minutes, checked it with 10 minutes to go and it was still gooey...I guess it probably only needed 5 more minutes.  Either way, it's just a little brown on the outside, nothing a good cup of coffee and/or milk can't cure.  
For the Brown Sugar Filling, I used chopped almonds [not pecans] and ground them instead of just finely chopping.  My sister loves crumb cakes, coffee cakes, etc. and she doesn't like nuts messing with her breakfast treats.  So, I, wanting to stick with the recipe as much as possible, just hid the nuts :) 
The center was extremely moist and the glaze isn't too sweet, all in all, yummy! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment