Friday, May 20, 2011

[Macaroni] and Cheese

Okay, I used Ziti noodles because I really just don't like elbow macaroni.  I don't know what it is exactly, I just don't like the shape?  Either way, this was a yummy dish but I think next time I'm going to cheese it up and use a mixture of fancy cheeses, I doubt it will be long before I try this so keep an eye out.  
This is a BCC recipe [by now my faithful readers, you should know this stands for Betty Crocker Cookbook] is in the Casserole section of the cookbook, perfect for leftovers!  Always a crowd pleaser Macaroni Ziti and Cheese is easy and a good time to practice your roux skills 
Follow the recipe in the BCC, you'll have plenty for 2lbs of pasta.  We added crisp bacon and caramelized onions to the final product, I highly recommend this.  *Tip: When you see "milk" in a recipe, do your best to use whole milk, you'll get the best results due to the fat content.  If you're a 1% family like us, it'll work just fine, but consider having a small container of whole milk around for extra creamy sauces. * 

Okay, so I planned on baking the Ziti and Cheese in this large dish for the final step...about halfway through cooking the bacon and carmalizing the onions I started to smell something that resembled burning plastic.  I checked my burners, found nothing, then all of a sudden, "HOLY CRAP!" I forgot to take some of my dishes out of the oven before preheating! I've never forgotten to do this!  Those of you that don't live in an apartment, Manhattan, or have a small kitchen might be wondering, why in heavens name do you use your oven for storage. Simple response, I have too many a lot of casserole dishes, pans, etc. and I ran out of places to put them!  Don't judge, you know that your makeup drawer, tool drawer and/or shoe storage has the same problem.  Anyway! So I had to quickly turn off the oven, enlist the help of the Sweet Husband and think of another plan.  Needless to say we opened a lot of windows!  So, thankfully I have back-up because of my large amount of kitchen toys so I used these:
...and our small toaster oven to bake for another 25 minutes.  Go ahead and add a little extra shredded cheese to the top, it'll give it a nice golden brown look when finished.  I'm thinking my next stop today is to get some oven cleaner or all of my casseroles run the risk of tasting like my plastic placemat, which wasn't supposed to be in the oven anyway! *Tip: If you must use your oven for storage, only place your oven safe materials inside just in case, usually I do this but I guess one or two items snuck in...I wonder who could've done that...*
Wait until you have baked the pasta to add the extra ingredients.  If you have fussy eaters but you are dying for some spice in your food life, this is a great way to individualize your dinners without making different meals.  You can dress up or dress down the Ziti and Cheese anyway you like - hot sauce, bacon, onion, extra cheese, meat, peppers, etc. Go nuts! 
I added the bacon first [about 2.5 strips total split between two portions].  The bacon adds the extra saltiness enjoyed by many, I once heard a chef on the show below say "even vegetarians want bacon."

PS. This is by far my favorite show. I'm addicted and currently collecting all necessary data so I can visit each place when I am in their vicinity.  I love that most of the restaurants featured are in NJ & NY, how fitting.
So anyway, time to add the caramelized onions:
Yum! The onions added a sweetness to the cheesy-pasta that tied in the salty bacon and savory cheese.  I guarantee your family will love it, with or without the fancy additions. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. shannon5/22/2011

    those little dishes are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I love them, a wedding present ;) they are perfect for french onion soup too.

    ReplyDelete