Friday, May 13, 2011

Mixed Berry Crumble Tart

So, since I noticed that parts of my cookbooks have been mostly untouched, I decided it was time to start working through them.  Here I go through the Pie/Pastry section of my Betty Crocker cookbook.  This is the perfect time of year for tarts and pies alike considering the in-seasonm, yummy fruits.  I couldn't find the recipe online, but it's in the Betty Crocker Cookbook Bridal Edition.  You need a recipe for a Two-Crust Pie [unbaked] and for the Mixed Berry Crumble Tart [see below].
Isn't that just lovely? I love this time of year! Now here's the skinny on the crust, it's important to follow the directions on this recipe [mixing, fridge time, rolling out].  
Now my countertops aren't that large but I managed to have enough room to roll out the dough - hold the tart pan upside down and make sure the dough is about 2-3 inches from the edge.  Rolling the dough around your rolling pin is the easiest way to get it in the pan without it ripping.
 The tart pan: I got it from BBB and it has a pop-out bottom, perfect removing a delicate tart when finished baking.  
Carefully press into the pan and trim edges right to the edge of the tart pan. Set aside.
Combine, 1 & 1/2 cups of strawberries, blueberries, 1 cup of raspberries, 2/3 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp of cornstarch in a bowl, stir to combine and pour into unbaked crust.
Next, make the crumble: 3/4 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon  I love orange so I just eyeballed it, probably about 2 Tbsp worth of zest, 1/3 cup of butter.  Use a pastry blender or fork to mix, don't overdue it, and sprinkle over the berry mixture.
Bake 35-45 minutes @ 425deg.  Let cool in tart pan for about 7-10 minutes. Remove from tart pan onto serving plate.  Serve warm with vanilla bean ice-cream or freshly whipped cream. 
This was so incredibly good!  I made it for our Easter Dinner dessert a few weeks back and was thrilled with how well everything turned out.  I didn't rush the steps and paid careful attention to the ingredients in the crust. I hope you have the time and patience to try this recipe, it is scrumptious! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment