Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Sandwich Series: BLT

Another simple meal, packed with flavor and a little pizazz. We don't often keep bacon in the house but I needed it to try out another recipe later this week so a BLT sounded perfect!  I was also inspired because I saw that episode on Bacon on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" which I featured in this post
What you see here is some roma tomatoes, butter lettuce and garlic mayonnaise.  I plan to experiment with making my own mayo but until then, I only, I mean only, use Hellmans.  I understand the stuff is terrible for any waistline, but it's just so delicious.  Quite honestly, there isn't much on a BLT, if you use fresh vegetables and sweet bacon, everything should stand on it's own. 
Okay, time for the main ingredient of the sandwich.  Bacon.  I tried using general supermarket brand bacon and I was very disappointed in the lack of flavor.  We also enjoyed thick slab bacon from The Meat House, but I wasn't a fan of the super smokey flavor.  So, Oscar Mayer bacon it is.  We almost always "candy" our bacon to add the sweet/salty flavor. Try it the next time you have bacon on your breakfast or sandwich menu, you won't regret it.
Here's the finished product, pick your favorite bread, layer the [4] ingredients and enjoy.  Do yourself a favor and don't add cheese to this sandwich, it doesn't need it. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I had to share this comment via-Facebook with all of you! It just made me laugh out loud!
    "Hi there! I just checked out your food blog. It is awesome! I really appreciated your BLT bit. Just wanted to let you know that I was a vegetarian for 7 years. Then, I had a BLT, and I crossed over to the other side and have eaten meat ever since...the power of a BLT!"

    How funny is that? A bacon conversion, I love it!

    ReplyDelete