Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A last minute dessert!



I really don't know anyone who doesn't get excited at the thought of chocolate covered strawberries.  You see them at weddings and catered events but I've rarely seen them prepared for a simple gathering of friends.  Don't forget about this quick and easy recipe [especially this time of year] when you need a little sweet to treat your friends.  I happily entertained a friend of my a few weeks back for a few drinks and I was so upset that I didn't have a prepared cake, cupcake or tart to serve.  I have this weird thing about needing to always feed someone if they walk through my door.  It didn't take long to take stock of my available ingredients and put these together for us to enjoy.   
We usually have all the ingredients lurking in our cabinets and fridge on a regular basis.  I love sliced strawberries with my yogurt, pancakes, granola, cereal and by themselves.  We also do a fair amount of baking so semi-sweet morsels are also usually on hand.  The Sweet Husband is a little more than obsessed with ice-cream sundaes so heath bar crumbles are also on hand - this is optional, feel free to use sprinkles, nuts or nothing at all to garnish your strawberries!
Start with a microwave safe bowl and a cup or two of semi-sweet chocolate morsels.  Microwave [MW] on 50% for 30 seconds, remove and stir.  Place chocolate back into MW and heat on HIGH for 10-12 seconds, remove and mix chocolate with a spoon until well melted. Repeat as needed.  Don't overheat the chocolate, it's important to only subject the chocolate to short bursts of heat.  If you have a double-boiler, feel free to use that method as well.  Personally, I find the MW is so fast and easy for this amount of chocolate. 
Dip the strawberries in the chocolate, dip or sprinkle with your topping of choice and place on parchment paper.  Parchment paper is the best because the chocolate will stick to your strawberries and not the paper.  Finish all your strawberries and place uncovered in the fridge to cool.  Use your intuition but they should be ready to eat in about 20 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment