Monday, March 4, 2013

Baking class #2

Class is absolutely fantastic.  I have never felt more at home in the large, industrial kitchen and my french knot chef's jacket.  I could literally wear the jacket all day.
We started with Lean doughs and Artisan breads and heavens was this a mistake!  I'm not sure I'm thankful that I now know how to make the delicious bread. The lovely, delicious, warm bread that was always sitting, faithfully waiting on Mattar's dinner table. It seemed like a bread delicacy that was only to be enjoyed when you go out to eat - because how would you make it at home?! I've gotten carried away. But really, don't you just love bread? Bread, butter, [cheese]. *yummy noises*
The best part about these breads is the simplicity of ingredients! You're basically just looking at water, flour and salt - variations of course but basically good ingredients = awesome bread.
We are using the CIA's Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft and it's a beast of a book but so informative and the recipes are just to die for. Never mind that the croissant recipe is about 3 pages long...but oh the butter!
There's my boule! We also made a whole wheat loaf, knot buns and started to prep the bagel dough for next week.  However it may seem, this is not a simple prep, bake, enjoy class.  There is a ton of enjoyment but the work is brutal. Especially in regards to the danish dough, I'm still in shock that I can type and use my arms for their normal, intended functions.
Next week: Bagels, Baguettes, Three-braid challah,  and soft pretzels. Oh me, oh my!


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3/04/2013

    Very cool Alice! Cannot wait to break "bread" with you at our next gathering! Love, Karen Amberg

    ReplyDelete