Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pasta Carbonara

I've never had Pasta Carbonara before so we made it for dinner! Well that and we've been watching way too much Man v. Food and saw the simple dish made on one of his stops.
Considering his massive portions and food challenges you'd think it would be the worst thing to watch while trying to trim the waist line but actually if you watch it after dinner for an evening wind-down, it's tolerable. If I have to even make this point: don't watch in the middle of the day when you haven't made any plans for lunch and/or dinner because you will end up marching down to your local hole in the wall for something in the hamburger family.


Either way, this dish is extremely easy to make and you can actually lower the content of fat and cholesterol by using less bacon and egg yolks. The recipe I used called for 6 strips of bacon and 4 egg yolks for an entire pound of pasta. *Good tip here: Save the egg whites for an omlet the next morning, you'll feel a lot better about your choice over a whole egg breakfast sandwich* We had angel hair pasta with about 3/4 of the box left so in turn I only made 4 strips of bacon and used 3 egg yolks - oh and went super light on the bacon drippings when tossing the pasta - yea. It was like a refined breakfast at my favorite Italian restaurant.


Let's make something clear, my portion was enough to taste what I've been missing and I made a decent salad to pair with baby arugula - the best - splash of peanuts, tomatoes, carrots, craisins and balsamic vinegar dressing. So either way, this dish isn't exactly heart healthy but it was yet again fun to try something new and put my Real Simple binders to good use.


Oh and please use fresh parsley, you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment