Tuesday, January 18, 2011

3 day weekend + snowday

With the combined inability to return Netflix and no postal delivery on Monday we were forced to Redbox it instead of continue with our queue. Here are the some reviews on the movies we watched over the past 3 days. Usually I leave the movie/music reviews to my more qualified and in-tune best friend but I haven't watched this many movies in one weekend since high school. Here it goes:


source: Amazon.com
Salt
I absolutely loved it. Kinda Bourne, kinda Bond. Real action packed and even though you can get an idea for what is probably going to happen, you want to keep watching. All the little things that you don't see coming are great and the hand-to-hand fighting was intense. Not to mention nice to see a woman taking on that role and doing it well. I really liked it and plan to make it part of the DVD collection! 
source: Amazon.com
Eat Pray Love
Pretty good. Really loved the photography of the film and of course the locations. I didn't feel there was that much to the movie content wise as most of it felt like a lot of skipping around. On the bright side you could feel a total sense of a woman facing her issues and fears and I'm sure a lot of the movie was relatable. Sad to say I didn't read the book, is it worth it or better?


Source: Amazon.com
The Other Guys
Absolutely one of the worst movies of the weekend...and the last few years. Sweet husband and I were dumbfounded that we continued to watch after the first hour. We kept waiting for something to happen, nothing. The comedy was weak the action completely weak and all the funny points are in the trailer. Don't redbox, remove from your Netflix queue - it'll be on streaming soon enough if you really want a glimpse.


source: Amazon.com
Grownups
This movie was pretty good. Madison productions so all the same faces you expect to see with Adam Sandler. It was medium on comedy, low on drama and generally like a downgraded Click - learning what's really important - old friends and family, new friends, etc, blah-blah. It was good, some laughs but I had a hard time staying awake.


source: Amazon.com
Dinner for Schmucks
Hilarious. I usually find some of the humor associated with these movies corny - or only the husband laughs at - and tend not to laugh but the play between Carell and Rudd was priceless.  Nothing super hilarious just classic facial expressions and clearly actor inspired takes. It was a good laugh and thankfully it was the last one watched after The Other Guys and Grownups. 


So, enjoy the rest of your snowday (if you got one), update your Netflix queue or make a redbox run. Mail was resumed today so we're all set!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/18/2011

    Your reviews are adorable and honest, just like you Alice!

    I disliked Eat Pray Love, not into the wah wah I wasted my life now I am searching for myself kinda films. I did enjoy watching with a big ole bottle of wine with friends making fun of Julia and her sorry character though!

    I looved Dinner for Schmucks! My family enjoyed it at the Warwick Ny drive in...(the racey parts of the dominatrix girlfriend we had to distract our young ones with loud la la las in the car)

    I recommend for your next choices if you have not seen it "Stepbrothers" (crude but slap stick hillarious), if you are a movie follower for the Twilight movies see the movie spoof "Vampires Suck". A HBO movie I saw recently "Songcatcher" made in 2000, a musicologist seeks to document songs in 1907 Appalachia-very profound, endearing and like Little House on Prairie with a grown up twist.

    Later Alligator! Stay warm for this loong icy snowy winter!
    Karen Amberg Ruzycki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recs! Ah the beauty of Netflix, search, click and wait for arrival! I don't follow Twilight, I'm a super Harry Potter fan (read the books and love the movies, music, etc.) but a spoof is always a good choice.

    Bookmark the blog and keep reading! Love you mucho grande :)

    ReplyDelete