Thursday, November 17, 2011

Butternut Squash Lasagna, two ways!

Okay, yum! I've already made this about three times and for the most recent adventure I used sweet potatoes instead of squash and super yum!! 
This recipe originated from a bridal shower I attended earlier in the year and once I tried it I HAD to make it! My parents came to visit soon after and it was a perfect lunch - and they are honest guinea pigs.  The backbone of the recipe is from Giada (host of Everyday Italian on the Food Network).  Her Butternut Squash Lasagna is delicious and combine a host of some of my favorite flavors.
An advantage to trying this recipe is that I've never cooked with squash before, it's not a huge hit in our house and I've never had a reason to go through the process of peeling, seeding & chopping - it's quite the chore!
Once you have diced the squash (or sweet potatoes) follow the directions in the recipe and consider using cracked black pepper and sea salt for the flavor.  It really goes a long way.  Once you have sautéed the veggies and mashed them all up the recipe calls for a crumbled cookie...a cookie that I couldn't find in the grocery store.  A good substitute: Stella Doro cookies with an almond flavor, it does the trick!  I forgot this step when I made it the last time and honestly, with sweet potatoes, you don't need it.
While the sweet potatoes and/or squash is sautéing consider starting your basil-cream sauce. So yum!  I bought a basil plant for this as it was past season for my basil plants outside.  If you're local to the Seacoast area I recommend using Olivia's Garden Basil, it has a great peppery flavor and will last a decent amount of time in your kitchen - away from moisture.
It's important to follow proportions when making a sauce that involves butter, flour and milk!  BTW, if you find yourself nearly out of milk, you can easily substitute your coffee's half & half to make up the difference, it actually makes a thicker sauce.
When blending the basil into your sauce, if you have a hand-held blender I highly suggest it (this one is similar to the one we have).  This way you can avoid having to dirty up another appliance and it's more efficient.
Be sure to use fresh mozzarella with this recipe, it really makes a difference in flavor and the moisture helps with the no-boil lasagna noodles (I love these!).  When you remove the foil for the last 15 minute bake, add some freshly shredded (not grated) parmesan cheese, it makes a nice crust and presentation on the top of the lasagna.  This would be a great meal for after Thanksgiving when you're sick of turkey but still in the mood for some fall flavors!
Last but not least, Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment