Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin

Source: realsimple.com
Photo by: Johnny Valiant
We had a late start to our dinner tonight due to various errands but no matter, the main course was absolutely scrumptious. To date, one of the best things I have ever made. As soon as we got home I preheated the oven and prepped the pork loin with salt and pepper (as opposed to allspice the recipe calls for). Next I made the cherry mixture (helpful hint #1: place the 1/2 cup of cherries in a durable bowl and use your kitchen shears to break up the pieces, it will save you a lot of time). Next, I wrapped the loin with bacon and waited for the oven light to go off! Make sure you position the loin in the middle of the oven to create just enough heat under and over your roast.

Meanwhile, we enjoyed a mixed green salad with shaved carrot, sliced cucumber, dried cherries, rosemary, olive oil goat cheese with homemade lemon-mustard vinaigrette (the goat cheese was plain until I added the olive oil, rosemary and other secret spices!). Good thing because the pork loin roasts for 45 minutes before you baste with a glaze and then continue to cook until the inside reaches 160 deg.! To pass the time we played with the dog, some checkers and a few rounds of our favorite card game "Nertz" - more on that some other time - and it was nice not to sit and stare at the TV while waiting for dinner.

In keeping with my trusty kitchen gadget blogging I will be sure to highlight the ones I use in cooking....so! I was sure to use my extremely helpful digital thermometer (I'd love to send you here for my local readers, but their site is under construction) for this recipe. It is so much easier to use when there aren't any bones to worry about hitting with the probe.
Keep an eye on the bacon once you add the currants & red wine vinegar, it'll be more likely to burn with the added sugar. We covered the roast loosely with some tin foil and it actually helped the roast get to 160deg. a little faster - rightly so.
It was, as I said before, scrumptious. Really delicious, moist and juicy. I highly recommend it!
Source: Personal library
Source: Personal library

No comments:

Post a Comment