Monday, March 21, 2011

Quiche Tarts with Salad

Simple, light and a hit! I've been meaning to use the tart pans I bought a few months back, my plan is to make some killer blueberry tarts this summer. For now I decided that I would try using them for quiche. I've made this recipe before and left out the parsley and added chopped baby spinach instead.  I've also made this recipe with different kinds of cheese. Last time I went for it with the Gruyere and this time we chose Kerrygold Dubliner cheese. It was on sale this week because it's an Irish cheese. For all my cheese lovers out there, this is an absolute treat. Nutty like parmesan but has a real cheddar quality, very yummy! Because I had one roma tomato left I also seeded and diced it up to add to the mix. 
If you are interested in adding the spinach, simply roll the leaves and cut to get thin strips and throw in with the onions for the last minute of cooking. 
Preheat your oven to 375deg. Again, I used the store bought crust that I had leftover from the Shepherd's Pie recipe, but you can certainly make your own. Roll out the dough on your counter and simple place the tart pans face down and trace the size and press into the pan. As always, bake for about 10 minutes on a cookie sheet to start the cooking process and to keep the crust from becoming soggy. 
Layer the veggies and shredded cheese in the tart pans and pour in enough egg to cover the other ingredients. It took another 15 minutes for the egg mixture and crust to cook. 


Now for the salad! We like to buy the spring mix because of the added flavors of the different kinds of lettuce. Just a small handful on the opposite side of the plate will do. Add some sliced cucumbers, dried cherries and Betty Crocker's lemon Dressing. Then, get some plan goat cheese and doctor it up with s/p, garlic powder, olive oil and crushed rosemary. Mix it all together and serve in a nice heaping pile over your salad. The tart cherries and lemon with the creamy goat cheese make an excellent pair. It's a simple salad packed with flavor. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment