Wednesday, March 9, 2011

40 Days and 40 Nights...

...or something of the sort. It's Lent Ladies and Gents and I am going vegetarian (except on feast days, ie: Sunday).  This will give me an opportunity to explore a completely unchartered territory of my cookbooks and expand on previous recipes.  The Sweet Husband [SH] is going almost non-meat-monster but considering his build, he'd waste away into nothing long before Good Friday.  He's going to concentrate on Wednesdays and Fridays but I'm cooking Veggie for dinner so he'll be on board almost %85 of the time out of convenience. 
We thought about following the Orthodox calendar of meal restrictions but found that it might be better to ease into those practices after examination of this year's outcome. We really felt that we didn't want to just give something up that didn't take real work - although, last year I gave up Facebook [per SH's request] and that was actually quite a bit of work. We usually pick something for the other person to "give-up" in an attempt to be insightful.  Eh. 
So! Veggie-Monster I'll become but tofu I will not cook. Nope. Can't do it. Tried for a little while during the dairy-free days of necessity, but nope. No. No. No. Can't stand the stuff. Also, there's a household ban. 


I have planned out meals until the middle of April and will share each and every dinner with each of you! Yes, some meals with be pasta, but I'm also trying not to over-run myself with starches/carbs. Also, along with this Lenten diet, I'm trying my hand at smaller portions and larger amounts of water.  Hey, I just might come out healthier. Imagine that! 


Tonight it's Ash Wednesday service and before hand - leftover pasta with marinara sauce...not an exciting night. Wednesdays are so busy!
Tomorrow: Broiled Roma tomatoes, basil, fresh mozarella, balsamic syrup on a bagel. 
First, grocery shopping!

1 comment:

  1. How did it turn out? I love the motz with basil. Grilled chicken is a nice complement, but given the lent thing, you'll have to save that for a sunday....

    ReplyDelete