Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Birthday Dinner

How could I forget my birthday dinner! I've been going full force ahead since Memorial Day I didn't realize I forgot to highlight my birthday weekend of deliciousness.
Being a foodie and all, it just didn't suit to have anyone else make my birthday dinner, I knew what I wanted and how I wanted it done.  I've had ribs for my birthday since I was about 10, no need to break tradition now.  We got ribs from the Meat House applied a Bone Suckin' Sauce Rub and tossed them in the slow-cooker with a little water for about 8 hours.  I drained the fat & water and slathered the ribs in Stubs BBQ Sauce - my favorite is Hickory Bourbon but we went with Original this year.  You just let the flavors mix for about 40-60 minutes in the slow-cooker, turn off or keep warm until serving.
Being a Jersey Girl and all, I wanted sweet corn from a farm stand - I've never found corn in NE as good as Jersey Corn.  So! Here's the way to fix that, boil corn in a large pot with about 1-2 Tbsp. of sugar.  It adds a nice sweet taste without over-doing it - this kind of corn doesn't need butter or s/p btw. Next! Baked, Re-Stuffed Potatoes with crumbled bacon, cheese and chives - not to mention the sour cream, s/p and seasonings in the potato.
Next I needed some homemade mac-n-cheese - well maybe this was over the top in the starch department but so worth it!  This is a personal recipe and absolutely going in the cookbook, doesn't it just look incredible? I baked them in my square pan - which is insane to clean btw - but worth it for portion sizes!
The Sweet Husband made me a cake from Cooks Illustrated recipe that was really good! Simple and delicious, good job honey!
The weekend was filled with yummies, even a fried turkey.  Also an amazing Lemon Cake! Needless to say we ate salad for the week after...


No comments:

Post a Comment