Monday, June 20, 2011

Snickers + Cupcakes = Happiness

Okay! Here's something I've been working on , after several hours of watching Cupcake Wars [CW], I've been inspired to create cupcakes with a filling and frosting!  The SH loves Snickers and we once again had a potluck, so I took these! Simply, the cupcakes are chocolate - not from a box - filling is homemade caramel, frosting is peanut buttercream with caramel drizzle and peanuts on top.
Here's a little peak at the bowl I was using for the day.  My grandmother also loved to cook and I am blessed to have some of her kitchen items! Here's one of my favorite mixing bowls, even if it's not my biggest.
Of course, with watching CW I've also been picking up some techniques and tips.  I decided to pick up a couple of dispensing tools and for this recipe I decided to try the batter dispenser.  No good. The batter was entirely too thick for this container, it probably would've worked if there was pressure from the top of the container?
See? Try using this chocolate cake recipe from an earlier post. I'm still working on my recipe, I think I've got it.  Next, for the homemade caramel I used my Betty Crocker recipe.  It's important if you've never made caramel before to make this your priority, you don't want to be confused around a large pot of boiling sugar! 
After the cupcakes and caramel have cooled, cut out a small center of the cupcakes with an apple corer, small paring knife or cupcake corer.  Fill with some caramel:
For the peanut buttercream, you can follow this recipe [you can follow the whole recipe if you like!]. Generously pipe the icing over the caramel in any style you want, but the mini-swirls really add a nice look.
Drizzle with caramel and add some chopped peanuts to complete the look.  I have to say, these cupcakes were really delicious, the peanut butter frosting was actually pretty light, well, decadent and light - it's possible. Pick your favorite candy bar and make it into a cupcake, it's easier than you think! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment